Saturday, 23 January 2016

Extraordinary in the Ordinary

I'm going to start off by saying this post will be cliched.
However, I do firmly believe that behind every person is a story, and hence, behind every CID group is a tale of friendship, of unexpected camaraderie and of trials to come.
I'll start off by saying in the past year, I've had experiences working with all of these group members, but not collectively as a group. Dana and Jolene are two of my close friends, I've worked with Zhe Hui once on two projects and Jerome was in my last years CID group.
In the least to say, this is a group I'm somewhat comfortable to work with even when there is space for improvement.
It's extraordinary because it's a first in many project work groupings that I know who to trust for what, that I've gained a deeper understanding of each one of them, beyond what my own perception of them may be.
Through their self-introductions, I get to see a glimpse of what they view themselves, a part of their inner most self and their strengths and weaknesses.
Knowing these, it will be easier to allocate roles to maximize their potential, so much so that no one gets left behind and no one does everything.
This picture is extraordinary, because in this group, I have a better grasp of what their personalities are and which role they'd be happy in (thanks to their self intros) instead of merely relying on assumptions.
In this group, I have group members that I trust while I also have 'wild cards' -- members I'm still in the midst of figuring out.
We almost did not exist at all, for one. While some groups almost instantly found their guy members, our group had a little trouble. Up til that very deadline itself, one of the guys was still contemplating which group to join. And he only decided to stay because the other group only had space for one guy.
It's extraordinary, because just like an inoculated Petri dish containing nothing but agar and a mixture of other substances, I really do look forward to seeing how this group will bloom.
I'm looking forward to watching this tale of friendship, unexpected camaraderie and many, many trials unfold.
It'll be interesting. And that's what makes it extraordinary.
(P.S : somehow or rather the Petri Dish imagery decided to pop up as I was writing this. While in typical practical lessons, the experiment results will be more or less predictable and expected, it was in a humble Petri dish that a certain careless scientist by the name of Alexander Fleming first discovered Penicillin, now used as an antibiotic. Of course, he didn't really do much except maybe publish the papers that got another few scientists interested to further enhance and purify penicillin. )

No comments:

Post a Comment